body#layout #outer-wraper, body#layout #header-wrapper { width: 730px

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

sushi anyone?

My fabulous friend (and step-mom) is a Nurse Practitioner and is always getting great parenting magazines. I love visiting her and finding a stack of these magazines waiting for me in their guest room for my enjoyment.

On our last visit, I found Family Fun magazine and loved all of the fun ideas they had in there for us to try.

My favorite was the Sweet Sushi.

Anyone who knows me knows that I.Hate.Fish. But I could definitely eat this fun treats.

Here's how to make them:

1. Sushi bases: For rolls, use a knife to cut 1 1/2-inch circles from a slice of cake. Frost the tops of the circles, then wrap a 6-inch strip of fruit leather seaweed around each one, using a dab of frosting to secure it. Press coconut rice into the frosting. For individual sushi, cut a cake slice into rectangles and round the edges, as shown. Frost the top and sides of each oval, then roll it in coconut.

2. Sweet toppings: From left to right, starting with the top row, we used orange nonpareils, apricot preserves, and pieces of Twizzlers Rainbow Twists. In the middle row, we used a green gumdrop slice, diced Swedish Fish, and gumdrop wedges. On the bottom row, we topped the sushi base with a Swedish Fish, then wrapped it with a strip of fruit leather.

3. Sushi sides: To make wasabi, warm a green Starburst candy in the microwave for 10 seconds, then use your hands to work it into a mound. For pickled ginger, microwave and flatten an orange Starburst candy, then bunch it up into a pile, as shown.

No sushi party would be complete without the right attire. Check out these cute toddler tees and onsies by Board Inc.

1 comment:

Ginny said...

Family fun is my favorite magazine, when I saw this idea I wanted to try it. Thanks for the reminder!